General Terms and Conditions
The Society of Antiquaries of London has graciously contributed images from their collections to the Shakespeare Southampton Legacy Trust and Southampton Online Research Repository website and retains sole ownership of the images. Visitors may link to and cite the images within Shakespeare Southampton Legacy Trust and Southampton Online Research Repository website for research and study purposes only. Any further use, including, but not limited to, unauthorized downloading or distribution of the image is strictly prohibited. Visitors must contact the Society of Antiquaries of London to request additional use, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Document Specific Information
Title(s): Shields of Arms/Southampton Monument/Titchfield Church, Hampshire
Description: Watercolour Drawing, Shields of Arms on the west end of The Monument of Thomas Wriothesley Earl of Southampton, his Countess Jane, and his son Henry, Earl of Southampton, in Titchfield Church, Hampshire, Drawn by R.H.C. Ubsdell, Sept. 1840.
Repository: ©The Society of Antiquaries of London, London, UK
Record Locator: Society of Antiquaries of London/Collection of Prints & Drawings of the Society of Antiquaries of London. Sepulchral Monument and Tombs, Hampshire/SAL/238A/6r-v.
Other Sources: http://ubsdell.com
The Society of Antiquaries of London
The Society of Antiquaries of London is the oldest independent learned society in Britain concerned with the study of the past. For 300 years its library and museum collections have been at the Society's heart, helping to shape our understanding of the past.
The Library is the largest antiquarian library in the country, with an outstanding collection of more than 130,000 books dating from the fifteenth century to the present day, holdings of historic journals and over 600 current subscriptions, manuscripts and archives, and prints and drawings.
It covers British and European archaeology, architectural history, art history and the decorative arts (especially medieval), the historic environment, and British local history. The Library is freely available for research.
The three vibrant
The current Lord Montagu is leading an appeal to restore these monuments and would be grateful to receive any information, early drawings or photographs of the monuments and any information regarding the whereabouts of the two missing angels described, and depicted flanking the recumbent Lady Mary Wriothesley Monument, in 1719 and 1840. R.H.C. Ubsdell created a beautiful
Author of Ubsdell's oeuvre, Chris Brindle, describes Ubsdell thus:
Richard Henry Clements Ubsdell rose from poverty to prosperity and social standing by his skill as an artist and talent as a businessman.
He was born in
Richard married Mary Ann Pennal in
To support his growing family Ubsdell took every opportunity to build his reputation as an artist, for example by lecturing on art to the Literary & Philosophical Society and, by introduction, making contact with the rich and titled members of the Royal Yacht Squadron on the Isle of Wight.
He painted beautiful
As a by-product he painted over 100
The council paid him to create illuminated addresses on vellum for visiting dignitaries. In painting miniatures, and collecting images of people for a series of paintings of gatherings at significant events, he painted many famous people, including Jane Austen’s sailor brothers and Jane’s niece Anna Lefroy. He also painted the Courts of Queen Victoria and Louis Philippe of France. His miniature of Anna Lefroy captures Anna in the pose of a writer, Anna having recently inherited the manuscript of ‘Sanditon’ (Jane’s last unfinished novel) and in the process of writing her continuation.
Many of Ubsdell’s images were subsequently used by more famous artists, lithographers, and the publishers of the illustrated London newspapers.
By 1857 Ubsdell was an early photographer, and with his two sons created a library of local landmarks as stereoscopic images on glass slides. (Most probably these would have been sold to the London Stereoscopic Company who were rapidly expanding their
In 1859 he moved from his small studio in Portsmouth High Street to an impressive art and photographic studio and gallery overlooking Governor’s Green in Portsmouth. Here he made his fortune in the craze for photographic visiting cards known as Carte-de-Visite.
By the late 1860s, Ubsdell had become the paramount artist in Portsmouth and its hinterland. Life then became a matter of personal
Sadly, his wife and children all died before him, his daughter Lavinia not yet two. He himself died of cancer of the tongue aged 75, perhaps caused by bringing
Ubsdell is represented by pictures in the Royal Collection, The National Maritime Museum, The National Portrait Gallery, Winchester Cathedral Library, Portsmouth Museums & Record Service, Chawton Cottage & The National Trust Property Uppark, Society of Antiquaries of London, as well as in many private collections yet to be discovered!
Source: Chris Brindle, "Hampshire: R.H.C. Ubsdell (1812-1887)", at http://ubsdell.com
See also: Brindle, Chris. Hampshire: Discovering the 19th Century World of Portsmouth Artist R.H.C. Ubsdell, Vols. 1 & 2 (Colchester, Essex: Brindle Enterprises Ltd., 2012).